Planet Friendly Gardening
See what happened at the 2023 festival below and check back soon for 2024 content.
With sustainability at the forefront of mind when planning RHS show content this year, we have introduced a brand new Planet Friendly Gardening ‘3P Free’ Zone outside the Floral Marquee. The 3Ps stand for Plastic, Pesticide and Peat and the area will be created by our partner Edibleculture, who sell peat, pesticide and single use plastic free plants, gardening sundries and horticultural items.
As part of the 3P Free Zone you will be able to take any plants you buy during the Festival home without the plastic pot. This will be made possible by a ‘POSIpotting’ bench where you’ll be able to swap your plants over from plastic pots into a compostable and plantable POSIpot system, for free! You won’t even need to take the plant out of the POSIpot for planting at home as it can be planted in the pot.
All plastic pots collected at the Festival will be taken for recycling.
Advice and Inspiration
There will be experts from Edible Culture on hand to answer questions about how you can grow amazing plants without sprays or peat.
They can even offer tips on how to plant a sustainable orchard without plastics and chemicals through methods such as choosing fruit varieties that have a greater disease tolerance.
You can also learn more about how chemical free preventative measures can improve cropping, and how a hanging basket can be used to create wildlife friendly habitats for small spaces.
What’s more there will be information about a peat free compost and new wool based ‘Baaslug’ anti slug mulch bag for life scheme Edible Culture run in conjunction with Melcourt.
There will be displays of plants available to buy, along with seeds and feeds sold by weight in paper bags.
RHS Malvern Has Promised To Continuously Improve Its Impact On The Environment And Empower Its Visitors To Make More Planet Friendly Choices.
Some of the changes we’ve already made are:
Plastic, Bags & Pots
- Plastic bags have been replaced with biodegradable, paper or tote bags for use in the Floral Marquee, Plant Village and Plant Pavilions
- Visitors are being encouraged to bring their own bags for life and there will be re-usable bags available to buy on site
- A site wide ban of plastic bags from traders has been implementeD
- As part of the 3P Free Zone you will be able to take any plants you buy during the Festival home without the plastic pot. This will be made possible by a ‘POSIpotting’ bench where you’ll be able to swap your plants over from plastic pots into a compostable and plantable POSIpot system, for free! You won’t even need to take the plant out of the POSIpot for planting at home as it can be planted in the pot. All plastic pots collected at the Festival will be taken for recycling.
Show Build & Planning
- We’ve made upcycling a focus of the 2023 show to help influence attendees to be more sustainable outside the show
- All compost for show gardens and feature gardens is sourced locally from Worcester County Council, is peat free and derives from garden waste
- All our trade stand and plant shop banners are reused
- In building the festival, we procure goods and services from responsible suppliers who share our sustainability aims, and we prioritise local when we can
Food & Drink
- Free water refill stations have been installed across the showground to minimize usage of plastic bottles
- Visitors are encouraged to bring their own bottles
- We have increased plant-based food offerings at the festival
- Visitors will be encouraged to bring re-usable cups
- We actively encourage visitors to attend the festival using public transport
- We provide a free shuttle bus transporting visitors from Great Malvern station to the Showground and back again, to reduce cars to site and to reduce the environmental footprint of the show. This runs every 20 mins each day of the show
- EV charging points are provided
- Bicycle racks are provided at West and South gates to encourage cycling instead of driving
Electric Vehicle Charging Facilities
- We have six 7.2kw Type 2 charging points located inside red gate for the duration of the show located in Gold Parking
- Type 2 charging leads are provided
- The charging points are free to use for show visitors and offered on a first come first served basis. The facilities are not available to pre-book and you do not have to have paid for Gold Parking to use the EV charging facilities
- We ask that visitors only use what they need and request that those using them in the morning move their cars after 4 hrs, allow the charging points to be used by other visitors in the afternoon
- All of our waste on site is collected and stored in our secure waste compound to then be taken to a Materials Recovery Facility where it is sorted and processed to ensure all recyclables are sent through the appropriate routes. All of the non recyclables from this process are then sent to incinerator to be turned into energy.